Winner of the Steven J. Harrison Award for Outstanding Achievement in Animation, Spring 2015
Purpose: Teach about the interaction between aspirin and ibuprofen. Both bind to the cycloxygenase enzyme in platelets, yet ibuprofen out-competes aspirin when they are taken together, preventing aspirin from providing cardioprotection.
Target Audience: Healthcare professionals
Medium: 3D Studio Max, Adobe AfterEffects
- Catella-Lawson, F., Reilly, M. P., Kapoor, S. C., et al. (2001). Cyclooxygenase inhibitors and the antiplatelet effects of aspirin. N Engl J Med 345(25), 1809-17.
- Eikelboom, J. W., Hirsh, J., Spencer, F. A., Baglin, T. P., Weitz, J, I. (2012). Antiplatelet drugs: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest, 141(2 Suppl), e89S-119S. doi: 10.1378/chest.11-2293.
- Goodsell, David. (2001) Molecule of the Month: Cyclooxygenase. RCSB Protein Databank, May. 10.2210/rcsb_pdb/mom_2001_5
- PubChem. “Ibuprofen - Compound Summary” CID: 3672 NCBI. http:// pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- PubChem.“Aspirin - Compound Summary” CID: 2244 NCBI. http:// pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- RCSB Protein Databank. “Prostaglandin H2 Synthase-1 Complexed with 1-(4- Iodobenoyl)-5-Methosy-2-Methylindole-3-Acetic Acid (Iodoindomethacin), Trans Model” Entry ID: 1PGG. http://www.rcsb.org/pdb
- RCSB Protein Databank. “The Structural Basis of Aspirin Activity Infered from the Crystal Structure of Inactivated Prostaglandin H2Synthase” Entry ID: 1PTH http:// www.rcsb.org/pdb
- Saxena, A., Balaramnavar, V. M., Hohifeld, T., Saxena A. K. (2013). Drug/drug interaction of common NSAIDs with antiplatelet effect of aspirin in human platelets. Eur J Pharmacol 721(1-3), 215-24. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2013.09.032.
- Shahid, F., Chahal, C. A., Akhtar, M. J. (2013). Aspirin treatment failure: is this a real phenomenon? A review of the aetiology and how to treat it. JRSM Short Rep, 4(4), 30. doi: 10.1177/2042533313475576
- Vilenchik, R., Berkovitch, M., Jossifoff, A., Ben-Zvi, Z., Kozer, E. (2012). Oral versus rectal ibuprofen in healthy volunteers. J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol, 19(2), e179-86.
Behind the Scenes: Animations are a long process involving lots of planning and lots of changes along the way. The storyboard below laid out the foundation for the finished animation, from shot composition and camera motion to timing the visuals with the script. It even includes the branding of a mock studio. It also includes a few details that were later cut, such as the timer in the corner of the screen.